A resident of Braishfield has received telephone calls from a fraudster purporting to be a police officer, who claims that the victim’s credit card details have been stolen.
We have been warned about this by Hampshire Constabulary in a recent crime report. Here is their advice:
What is the scam?
- The victim is called by someone claiming to either be from their bank or a police officer and told their bank card has been cloned or there has been suspicious activity
- They are asked to withdraw a large amount of cash to assist with the investigation or tricked into giving their PIN number and then told to hand over their bank card
- The fraudster will then arrange a courier private hire company/mini cab driver to attend the victim’s address to collect the card or cash.What can you do?
- Ensure you and your colleagues are aware of this scam and remain vigilant if you are asked to attend this type of fare
- If you have the slightest suspicion about a fare of this nature, do not deliver the package
- Contact police immediately by phoning 101 or 999 if a crime is in progress.