Please see the following message from Graeme Barbour (Police, Crime Prevention Adviser, Hampshire)…
Using the internet to purchase goods or services saves considerable time and effort, as well giving you a wider choice and allowing you to compare prices. However, it is important to take a few simple precautions to help ensure safe online shopping:
- Ensure that the site is secure by checking the web address uses “https://”
- Using a credit card affords you greater protection as you can often claim your money back in the case of fraud.
- Use a search engine to check reviews of the store you’re purchasing from.
- If ever in doubt, or if something just doesn’t feel right, don’t enter any details and leave the online store immediately.
- Most importantly, remember, if an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is.