Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development, anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre, should go ahead. In most cases, the local planning authority is Test Valley Borough Council (TVBC); but certain specialist applications (eg. related to waste treatment sites) are determined by Hampshire County Council.
The Government has published a plain English guide giving an overview of how the planning system works in England.
If you are in any doubt as to whether any work that you are planning requires planning permission, you should contact Test Valley Borough Council in the first instance. This includes any work to trees in the Conservation Area.
Braishfield Parish Council as “Consultee”
Braishfield Parish Council is a “consultee” on all applications within the parish. This is because it is important that local planning authorities identify and consider all relevant planning issues associated with a proposed development. Consultees may be able to offer particular insights or detailed information which is relevant to the consideration of the application. But the application is determined by the local planning authority, not the parish council.
When deciding its comments for the local planning authority, the Parish Council will consider the application with reference to the following documents: Village Design Statement , Conservation Area document, Local Plan. Listed Buildings are given additional protection in law.
You can contact Braishfield Parish Council to express views on an application, and your view will be considered when the Parish Council decides its comment for the local planning authority. But the Parish Council may not agree with your views, and in any case you should also make a formal comment to the local planning authority.
Planning applications are published on the TVBC planning site here:
Each application is given a reference number such as 14/01537/FULLS and this must be used to find the documents for the application. It is possible for anyone to make comments about each application, either online or in writing to TVBC. The most recent planning applications affecting Braishfield are also listed below, for convenience.
Braishfield Parish Council has a 3 week period from the publication of an application to make comments to TVBC. Braishfield Parish Council will respond in one of 3 ways:
- “Support” – where we are in favour of an application
- “No objection” – where we have no particular opinion about an application
- “Object” – where we have concerns about any aspect of the application. We must use this response in any case where we have comments about the application, even where the comments are about details of an application that we are broadly in favour of, in order for TVBC to consider our comments.
Neighbours and members of the public are also able to make a formal comment, via the TVBC website or in writing.
Recent planning applications for Braishfield
- 17/01805/TREES 3/9/2017 - Carry out tree works as per schedule Recreation Ground Village Hall Braishfield Road Braishfield SO51 0PN View the full details on the Planning Authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Braishfield Parish Council’s comment as a consultee: none (Braishfield Parish Council is the applicant) Planning Authority (Test Valley Borough Council) decision: NO OBJECTION
- Test Valley Borough Council, Strategic Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment and Brownfield Call for Sites 1/9/2017 - Strategic Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment and Brownfield Call for Sites The Council (Test Valley Borough Council) is issuing a Call for Sites to inform the preparation of the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA). This is a requirement of the National Planning Policy Framework. The SHELAA will be a technical […]
- 17/02144/TREES 23/8/2017 - T1 Pear – fell, T2 and T3 Thujas – Trim back from thatched roof by 1 metre Yew Tree Cottage Church Lane Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QH View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Thu 07 Sep 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council (as a consultee): tvbc1702144trees Planning Authority […]
- 17/02172/TREES 23/8/2017 - T1 Oak – Crown clean and thin by 10%, remove 1st low branches growing towards house and over boundary, remove epicormic growth, reduce side of canopy by rear of house by up to 1m. T2 Oak – Crown clean, remove epicormic growth up to 4.5m and thin by 10%. T3 Oak – Remove 1st big […]
- 17/02175/TREES 23/8/2017 - G1 Oaks and 1 apple tree – Fell. T1 Oak – Reduce canopy by up to 1.5m, remove low limb on right side. T2 Oak – Fell. T3 Willow – Fell. T4 and T6 Field Maples – Reduce crown by up to 2m. T5 Field Maple – Fell. Blackthorn House Blackthorn Close Braishfield Romsey Hampshire […]
- 17/00925/FULLS 23/8/2017 - Alterations to fenestration to front and rear elevations Newport Inn Newport Lane Braishfield SO51 0PL View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Tue 12 Sep 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council (as a consultee): tvbc1700925fulls Planning Authority (Test Valley Borough Council) decision: pending consideration
- 17/01278/FULLS 2/8/2017 - Demolish existing outbuilding and erection of new two storey out-building containing swimming pool and residential annex above Braishfield Manor Paynes Hay Road Braishfield SO51 0PS View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Mon 28 Aug 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council (as a consultee): tvbc1701278fulls Test Valley Borough Council […]
- 17/01874/LBWS 2/8/2017 - Partial rebuilding of and associated repairs to fire damaged cottage Sharpes Farm Lower Street Braishfield SO51 0PH View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Wed 16 Aug 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council (as a consultee): none Test Valley Borough Council decision: pending consideration
- 17/01921/TREES 2/8/2017 - Fell 1 x small Acacia Barnside Church Lane Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QH View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Tue 15 Aug 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council (as a consultee): none Test Valley Borough Council decision: NO OBJECTION
- 17/01808/FULLS 17/7/2017 - Garage conversion 4 Blackthorn Close Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PX View the full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry: Fri 04 Aug 2017 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council: none Planning Authority (Test Valley Borough Council) decision: pending consideration
Click here to see all planning applications for Braishfield since July 2014.
Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal
One of the more significant – and controversial – planning matters in recent years is the affordable housing proposal. Some of the history and related documents are shown on the Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal page.