Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development, anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre, should go ahead. In most cases, the local planning authority is Test Valley Borough Council (TVBC); but certain specialist applications (eg. related to waste treatment sites) are determined by Hampshire County Council.
The Government has published a plain English guide giving an overview of how the planning system works in England.
If you are in any doubt as to whether any work that you are planning requires planning permission, you should contact Test Valley Borough Council in the first instance. This includes any work to trees in the Conservation Area.
Braishfield Parish Council as “Consultee”
Braishfield Parish Council is a “consultee” on all applications within the parish. This is because it is important that local planning authorities identify and consider all relevant planning issues associated with a proposed development. Consultees may be able to offer particular insights or detailed information which is relevant to the consideration of the application. But the application is determined by the local planning authority, not the parish council.
When deciding its comments for the local planning authority, the Parish Council will consider the application with reference to the following documents: Village Design Statement , Conservation Area document, Local Plan. Listed Buildings are given additional protection in law.
You can contact Braishfield Parish Council to express views on an application, and your view will be considered when the Parish Council decides its comment for the local planning authority. But the Parish Council may not agree with your views, and in any case you should also make a formal comment to the local planning authority.
Planning applications are published on the TVBC planning site here:
Each application is given a reference number such as 14/01537/FULLS and this must be used to find the documents for the application. It is possible for anyone to make comments about each application, either online or in writing to TVBC. The most recent planning applications affecting Braishfield are also listed below, for convenience.
Braishfield Parish Council has a 3 week period from the publication of an application to make comments to TVBC. Braishfield Parish Council will respond in one of 3 ways:
- “Support” – where we are in favour of an application
- “No objection” – where we have no particular opinion about an application
- “Object” – where we have concerns about any aspect of the application. We must use this response in any case where we have comments about the application, even where the comments are about details of an application that we are broadly in favour of, in order for TVBC to consider our comments.
Neighbours and members of the public are also able to make a formal comment, via the TVBC website or in writing.
Recent planning applications for Braishfield
- Planning Appeal: 17/00010/REFS Land To The Rear Of Willowbrook House 6/4/2017 - Land To The Rear Of Willowbrook House Braishfield Road Crookhill Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QB Outline application for the erection of single dwelling with associated parking View the full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here
- 17/00701/TREES 6/4/2017 - Seven Pines Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PR T1 Oak – Removal of dead wood and crown clean; T2 Silver Birch – prune growth points by 1.2m; T3 conifer – reduce by 2m; T4 Willow pollard to previous points; T5 Scots Pine – prune back to main branch View full details at Test Valley […]
- 17/00713/FULLS 6/4/2017 - Newport Farm Newport Lane Braishfield SO51 0PL Erection of a 4 bedroom dwelling, parking, landscaping and associated works (with amended plans) View full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry Date 30 May 2017 Braishfield Parish Council comment: TVBC1700713fulls and subsequent comment on amended plans, tvbc1700713fulls(r1) Test Valley Borough Council decision pending consideration
- 17/00764/TREES 6/4/2017 - Clayhill Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PR1 Multi stemmed Ash – reduce height by 20% to original pruning points, remaining limbs by 15% and dead wood. 1 Wych Elm – reduce height by 30% and overhanging branches on neighbour side by 3 metres. 1 Ash – fell. Leylandii hedge – reduce height by 2 […]
- 17/00801/PDHS 6/4/2017 - 3 Hill View Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PP Notification of Proposed Works to a Dwelling – Replacement conservatory (Length 5.0m; height 2.60m; Eaves Height 2.30m) View full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here Neighbour Consultation Expiry Date Wed 19 Apr 2017 Braishfield Parish Council comment TVBC1700801pdhs Test Valley Borough Council decision pending […]
- 17/00823/FULLS 6/4/2017 - Northwood House Cottage Kings Somborne Road Braishfield SO51 0QU Change of use of redundant farm buildings to recreational use ancillary to house; Existing cottage extended into existing redundant barn View full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry Date Thu 27 Apr 2017 Braishfield Parish Council comment tvbc1700823fulls Test Valley Borough […]
- 17/00824/FULLS 6/4/2017 - Greenacres Eldon Road Braishfield SO51 0PT Single storey dayroom to rear with extended canopy; conversion of garage to guest suite; erection of new car port and widening of existing access View full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry Date Fri 21 Apr 2017 Braishfield Parish Council comment tvbc00824fulls Test Valley Borough […]
- 17/00882/TREES 6/4/2017 - Boares Garden Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PQ 1 x Oak – Remove dead and low hanging branches as indicated on photogrpahs submitted with application View full details at Test Valley Borough Council website here Standard Consultation Expiry Date Wed 26 Apr 2017 Braishfield Parish Council comment TVBC1700882TREES Test Valley Borough Council decision No objection
- 17/00386/TREES 16/2/2017 - Carry out tree works as per schedule All Saints Church Church Lane Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QH View full details on the Test Valley Borough Council website here. Braishfield Parish Council comment: Test Valley Borough Council decision: No Objection
- 16/03224/FULLS 10/2/2017 - Erection of detached dwelling with new gravel driveway, parking area and package sewage treatment plant Chalk Pit Cottage Braishfield Road Braishfield SO51 0PR View the full details at the Test Valley Borough Council planning portal here Braishfield Parish Council comment: TVBC1603224fulls Test Valley Borough Council decision: REFUSED
Click here to see all planning applications for Braishfield since July 2014.
Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal
One of the more significant – and controversial – planning matters in recent years is the affordable housing proposal. Some of the history and related documents are shown on the Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal page.