Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development, anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre, should go ahead. In most cases, the local planning authority is Test Valley Borough Council (TVBC); but certain specialist applications (eg. related to waste treatment sites) are determined by Hampshire County Council.
The Government has published a plain English guide giving an overview of how the planning system works in England.
If you are in any doubt as to whether any work that you are planning requires planning permission, you should contact Test Valley Borough Council in the first instance. This includes any work to trees in the Conservation Area.
Braishfield Parish Council as “Consultee”
Braishfield Parish Council is a “consultee” on all applications within the parish. This is because it is important that local planning authorities identify and consider all relevant planning issues associated with a proposed development. Consultees may be able to offer particular insights or detailed information which is relevant to the consideration of the application. But the application is determined by the local planning authority, not the parish council.
When deciding its comments for the local planning authority, the Parish Council will consider the application with reference to the following documents: Village Design Statement , Conservation Area document, Local Plan. Listed Buildings are given additional protection in law.
The Parish Council decides its comments through its Planning Committee, of which all Councillors are members. Members and the Committee follow the Council’s Planning Committee Terms of Reference and Planning Code.
You can contact Braishfield Parish Council to express views on an application, and your view will be considered when the Parish Council decides its comment for the local planning authority. But the Parish Council may not agree with your views, and in any case you should also make your own formal comment to the local planning authority.
Planning applications are published on the TVBC planning site here:
Each application is given a reference number such as 14/01537/FULLS and this must be used to find the documents for the application. It is possible for anyone to make comments about each application, either online or in writing to TVBC. The most recent planning applications affecting Braishfield are also listed below, for convenience.
Braishfield Parish Council has a 3 week period from the publication of an application to make comments to TVBC. The Council’s comments are decided by its Planning Committee, which will respond in one of 3 ways:
- “Support” – where we are in favour of an application
- “No objection” – where we have no particular opinion about an application
- “Object” – where we have concerns about any aspect of the application. We must use this response in any case where we have comments about the application, even where the comments are about details of an application that we are broadly in favour of, in order for TVBC to consider our comments.
Neighbours and members of the public are also able to make a formal comment, via the TVBC website or in writing.
Recent planning applications for Braishfield
- 19/01120/FULLS 3/5/2019 - New single storey link extension between existing property & existing pool house / garage, conversion of garage to gym, pool facilities and new accommodation within existing loft space, internal alterations to existing property and extension of hard landscaping to rear (Amended scheme) Spinney Corner Church Lane Braishfield SO51 0QH View the full details on the […]
- 19/00861/FULLS 3/5/2019 - Single storey rear extension to form garden room Spring Cottage Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PQ View the full details on the planning authority, Test Valley Borough Council, website here Consultation expiry date: Thu 25 Apr 2019 Braishfield Parish Council comment as a consultee: tvbc1900861fulls TEST VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL DECISION: pending consideration
- 19/00929/TREES 3/5/2019 - Fell Robina tree and remove root ball Yew Tree Cottage Church Lane Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QH View the full details on the planning authority, Test Valley Borough Council, website here. Consultation expiry: 2/5/19 Braishfield Parish Council comment as a consultee: tvbc1900929trees TEST VALLEY BOROUGH DECISION: pending consideration
- 19/00995/PDQS 3/5/2019 - Notification for Prior Approval under Class Q – Conversion of agricultural building to a single dwelling Malthouse Farmyard Eldon Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PT View the full details on the planning authority, Test Valley Borough Council, here. This is a notification under part 3 of the General Permitted Development Order of the intention to undertake […]
- 19/00536/FULLS 6/3/2019 - Erection of single storey detached dwelling for supported living at rear 12 Hill View Road Braishfield SO51 0PP View the full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Consultation expiry: 26/3/19 Comment of Braishfield Parish Council as a consultee: TVBC1900536FULLS TEST VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL DECISION: pending consideration
- 19/00247/TREES – NO OBJECTION 26/2/2019 - T1 Conifer – Crown reduce lowering height upto 3m and reduce latural branches upto 2m The Wheatsheaf Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QE View the full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Consultation expiry: Mon 25 Feb 2019 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council as a consultee: tvbc1900247trees DECISION OF TEST […]
- 19/00372/FULLS – PERMISSION subject to notes 26/2/2019 - Retention of garden/dust bin shed 6 Blackthorn Close Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0PX View the full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Consultation expiry: 13 March 2019 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council as a consultee: TVBC1900372FULLS-r1 DECISION OF TEST VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL: PERMISSION subject to notes
- 19/00405/FULLS – PERMISSION subject to conditions & notes 26/2/2019 - Erection of a porch, and single storey side and rear extension to provide additional living space, and new fenestration 19 Hill View Road Braishfield SO51 0PP View the full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Consultation expiry: Wed 13 Mar 2019 TEST VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL DECISION: PERMISSION subject to conditions […]
- 19/00461/FULLS – PERMISSION subject to conditions & notes 26/2/2019 - Erection of a single storey rear extension to provide an enlarged kitchen, replace bay window with french doors, lower ground floor window cill’s and raise window heads of first floor windows Potters Clay Braishfield Road Braishfield SO51 0PQ View the full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here Consultation expiry: Tue 19 […]
- 19/00247/TREES 6/2/2019 - T1 Conifer – Crown reduce lowering height upto 3m and reduce latural branches upto 2m The Wheatsheaf Braishfield Road Braishfield Romsey Hampshire SO51 0QE View full details on the planning authority (Test Valley Borough Council) website here. Consultation expiry: Mon 25 Feb 2019 Comment from Braishfield Parish Council as a consultee: tba Test Valley Borough Council decision: […]
Click here to see all planning applications for Braishfield since July 2014.
Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal
One of the more significant – and controversial – planning matters in recent years is the affordable housing proposal. Some of the history and related documents are shown on the Braishfield Affordable Housing proposal page.