(This article appeared in November 2014 “Safer North Hampshire” newsletter)
Major events such as Guy Fawkes Night, Diwali, New Year’s Eve and Chinese New Year are approaching in the coming months. Please
remember the fireworks code:
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Dispose of sparklers in a bucket of water as soon as they are finished.
- Never give sparklers to a child under five-years-old.
- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box or tin. Use them one at a time, replacing the lid immediately.
- Follow the instructions on each firework, using a torch or hand lamp. Never use a naked flame.
- Light fireworks at arm’s length using a taper.
- Do not drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
- Stand well back.
- Never go back to a lit firework, even if it hasn’t gone off – it could still explode.
- Never throw fireworks.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Why not visit an organised fireworks display in your area?
For more information visit www.hantsfire.gov.uk.